[mythtv-users] which resolution on a 16:10 lcd?

come se fosse antani antani at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 19:55:50 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2006 01:44 PM, come se fosse antani wrote:
> > I've bought an acer LCD 19'' 16:10 aspect ratio; the monitor supports 1440x900.
> > My primary use for mythtv is watching tv (analogic signal or dvb-t,
> > PAL) and divx/dvd.
> > With the 4:3 CRT I had, I used 720x576, but now with the new monitor I
> > don't know wich resolution use.
>
> My recommendation is to use the display's native resolution (1440x900).
> Just make sure you set the DisplaySize such that the aspect ratio is 16:10.

in which way can I set the displaysize? is xorg related or mythtv?

> If using an NVIDIA card, set the UseEdid* settings (briefly described at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
> ) so the DisplaySize is not ignored.  Your DisplaySize should be 365 228.

I use a SIS chipset, installed on my asus digimatrix

> Note, though, that you /will/ have letterboxing on 16:9 (HDTV) shows
> (very small black borders totally 1/10th the display height) and
> pillarboxing on 4:3 shows.  If you don't mind tall, skinny people in
> your HDTV shows, you can "pretend" your display is 16:9 by using 405 228
> for a DisplaySize.  Then, 16:9 shows will be full screen (but you'll
> still have pillarboxing on 4:3 shows).  Oh, and of course, 2.40:1 movies
> will be letterboxed with either DisplaySize.

sorry I don't understand what you means.
With Prison Break (ripped from HDTV, divx file) I've an almost
fullscrenn (only 2cm on the top and on the bottom are black border).
If I see PAL tv, I have the border on the left and the right.