[mythtv-users] Backend hardware advice please

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 4 14:54:04 UTC 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 7:15 AM, Razza wrote:

> Agree on the UPS etc. fortunately I already have that covered for
> the Asterisk system, which is more essential than MythTV in the
> life continuity stakes! ;o)
>
> I was thinking about a Gigabyte board (GA-M55plus-S3G) as it
> already has a built in video card etc. and GB LAN (http://
> www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?
> ProductID=2385&ProductName=GA-M55plus-S3G), what model is your board?

You'll make folks on this list happier if you don't top-post or use
fancy formatting, fonts etc. The default Outlook behaviour is
generally considered bad :-)

The Asus mobo I'm using is an older K8N Socket-754 unit, nothing
fancy, but it does have 5 PCI slots which was important to me.

Nothing wrong with the mobo you mention, but it is somewhat overkill
for what you want to do.

The Quadro video is way more than you need. The most common Myth
video card is a 5xxx series GeForce. I have no experience with the
Quadros and haven't seen them mentioned here. They are more often
used with high-end CAD systems. 3GB/S SATA is not needed for Myth,
and in fact no drives can really take advantage of it (yet). The dual
memory channel DDR2 AM2 boards are not really needed for Myth either.

But you can never be too rich, too skinny or have too much CPU/GPU/
RAM. That board would certainly work well if you want to spend the $$
$. I'd just be certain that the video chip will actually work well
with Myth before buying one.

My experience with Myth is that you are best off using hardware that
is commonly-used and thus well-supported.