[mythtv-users] Frontend slowness during database access

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 20:10:45 UTC 2006

I've had this issue since I started using MythTV (March) but haven't looked
into fixing it yet.  Maybe this is just how it is for everyone... I dunno.

Typically we'll be watching a recording, it finishes, and we delete it.  No
problems so far.  The item changes color while it deletes, then we are back
in the recording list ready to choose another recording.  At this point I
want to move to another recording but for some number of seconds I am not
able to move within the menu.  There is no indication that something is
happening or when that something is done.  I believe that after the delete
the backend is running the scheduler and this is what is blocking me.  I see
this at other times when database activity is happening.

Normal behavior?  I can understand that some operations might require
immediate data from the database and it can't continue without it.  But this
doesn't seem like one of those times.

In the "Find Programs" function (browsing the A-Z list of programs) we
probably need to wait for the data from the database but shouldn't there be
some type of visual indication that the program is busy so I am not pressing
buttons during this time?

Or do I have something configured incorrectly... or am I using a theme that
doesn't implement a busy cursor?

Any ideas would be appreciated since this is pretty annoying.