[mythtv-users] Play DVD full height on widescreen LCD monitor using SVGA connector

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 3 17:10:17 UTC 2006

On 11/03/2006 11:02 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> It depends whether the pixels are square (1:1) or not. I run my TV at
> 1024x576 widescreen (16:9 ratio) and TFT at 1440x900 widescreen (16:10
> ratio) - the second screen has a native 16:10 display and MythTV uses
> the DisplaySize to correctly widescreen size output to 16:9 so DVD and
> TV look 'normal'.
>
> I'm wondering whether the OP has his DisplaySize setting correctly set
> for his monitor in his /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size

And, if an NVIDIA card, look at the UseEdid* settings at...
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F

Note, also, that with non-square pixels, you cannot set your DisplaySize
such that you get 100x100DPI.  My recommendation is to set the
DisplaySize to 347x195 (assuming a 16:9 display) to get 75x100DPI (but
remember to check the UseEDID* settings, too, if using NVIDIA or
DisplaySize is completely ignored).

Using 75x100DPI is "close enough" for now and will give you proper
aspect ratio (with a few font/graphic alignment "issues"--probably ones
you'll never notice).  Also, in the next release of Myth, there's no
100x100DPI requirement, so everything will work great.

Mike