[mythtv-users] Play DVD full height on widescreen LCD monitor using SVGA connector

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 02:29:42 UTC 2006

Firstly, this is my first posting here and my first time back into Linux for
quite some time (Last time I compiled a kernel was back when Modules were
first implemented)

I have a VIA EDEN EN15000 running Fedora Core 5 and MythTV 0.20 installed as
per the instructions at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/. At the moment I do not
have a TV capture card and am using MythTV as a user friendly MP3/Ogg and
DVD player. The only real obstacles so far have been the 2.6.18 kernel being
broken on the EN15000 (had to recompile with some ACPI stuff commented out)
and of course enabling DMA on the DVD driver.

I have digital audio output from the RCA jack straight into my Home Theater
system and video from the SVGA connector straight into a Philips widescreen
LCD TV running at 1024x768.

So far everything is working great - I can play audio files and CD's
directly to the Home Theater, and I can play DVD's using the internal DVD
player (something I still can't get mplayer or Xine to do - Looks like it
might be something to do with decrypting the DVD data stream - maybe I
haven't got libdecss working right yet although xine-check gives no errors
or warnings, just a lot of lines starting with [good])

The only problem is the DVD playback is 'squished' - i.e. letterbox output.
Apparently, mplayer can scale playback but I would much rather use the
internal DVD player. I've had a look through all the configuration screens,
the MythTV documentation, the wiki, the FAQ, this user list, and google
(that's where I found the mplayer scaling trick) and so far I haven't seen
any mention of the internal DVD player being able to  do vertical  scaling
to fill the screen. Does such an option exist?

If not, I'll start having a deeper look at getting Xine and mplayer working
instead.

Thanks,

Graeme