[mythtv-users] linutop as a mythfrontend

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Nov 2 20:42:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 03:33:16PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/02/06 15:11, Matt Rude wrote:
>
> > I don?t know if I would call $300.00 USD cheap. You can build a nice
> > VIA-M system for that.
> >
> > http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/10/linutop_could_change_the_world.html
> >

> That's not the same unit. That's an ad placed on the page thinking if
> you're interested in the Linutop (which is not yet price or available),
> you might also be interested in the Winterm S30.
>
> All that's been said about Linutop pricing is, "The developers haven't
> yet priced the system, though they anticipate an extremely low cost for
> individuals and institutions alike." (
> http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/10/25/linutop.micro.pc/ )

	This configuration is a little limited. It needs to have samba
and NFS built in so that you could add some more interesting options.
As long as you could somehow get an nfs mounted gcc install, building
MythTV would certainly be possible even if a little awkward.

	A nearly-net-booted ultra small Linux system could be very
useful. It would dramatically lower the cost of the workstations
and the complexity of doing net-boot.