[mythtv-users] Best way to get rid of interlace

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 2 20:04:30 UTC 2006

Chico Makani wrote:
> When I upgrade my TV I'd like to capture and encode everything in
> progressive format so that I never have to deal with interlacing issues.
> Ideally, I'd like to perform the deinterlacing before the mpeg2 encoding.

You don't want to do that.  It'll make inverse 3:2 pulldown impossible, so
anything you archive won't be in as good a format as it could be.

I tried out one of the Plextor USB tuner boxes a while back and took it back to
the store a few days later because it insisted on deinterlacing everything
before encoding.

I have a 30" LCD connected to my Mythbox.  Kernel deinterlace works well and is
recommended.

  _/_