[mythtv-users] EPG over DVB-S problems

Ingo Kofler kofler_i at gmx.net
Thu Nov 2 15:56:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am using myth 0.20 on my fedora core 5 box. I use DVB-S (Astra 19.2 E)
and want to import the EPG from the DVB signal. However, there is a
strange behaviour of myth. I only get the EPG data for some channels
like Sat 1, MTV, VIVA (german channels). However, for the vast majority
of the other channels the EPG import does not work. My first idea was
that the EPG is not transmitted for the rest of the channels, e.g. for
RTL Television.

Then i tried to get the EPG for these channels data with kaffeine and
.... it worked. Then I tried to figure out the transponders which are
used for each channel and try to find a correlation between the
frequency etc. and the fact if EPG is working or not. And then I found
something interesting: in myth the EPG was only imported for those
channels which have a transponder with vertical polarisation. All other
channels (that do have a EPG in kaffeine and not in myth) have a
vertical polirisation.

So is this a bug? A misconfiguration?

Please help,
Ingo