[mythtv-users] remote too sensitive

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Nov 2 12:41:24 UTC 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 5:29 AM, wouter lists wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My mythbox is running perfectly, except for one thing: my remote is
> too sensitive.
>
> My remote is an mceusb2 and the receiver is build into the case.
>
> My box is always up with mythfrontend running. It looks like someone
> is pressing random keys on my remote. When I check the system in the
> morning, livetv was running all night or it was somewhere else in the
> menu. I find it annoying that it is recording all night for nothing
> and wasting energy.
>
> I thought it was my cat, but when I put the remote and keyboard into
> the closet, it makes no difference.
>
> Are there other users who experienced this also and how did they
> solve it?

You may be getting interference from some other device. Flourescent
lights are often the culprits in this.

If you can get some "neutral density" plastic filter you could try
putting a piece over the IR sensor to reduce the total sensitivity.
You could also try a cardboard or plastic tube over the sensor to
reduce the angle of acceptance.

Unfortunately both these solutions can look somewhat less
professional than you might want in your living room.

OTOH, since you say it is happening at night I assume the lights are
out in the room ?? You might have a street light shining in or
something like that, you might try closing curtains or re-orienting
your receiver if you can.

Also, since you mention putting the KB in the closet, is it a
wireless unit? Perhaps RF? You may be getting interference through
that method and not IR. If it's a 2.4Ghz. KB an 802.11B/G network can
interfere, as can cordless phones and microwave ovens.