[mythtv-users] Using media stored on multiple drives withoutLVM?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:42:44 UTC 2006

> > Personally, I'd opt for option two (since you'll likely end up with
> bigger
> > drives), but either way, it's the best way to go for a robust, scalable
> > storage solution, IMHO.
> >

> How scalable is that really?  How many drives are you stuffing in a case?

That depends on the case. :)  6 drives for a good size case is, I think not
unreasonable, although heat dissipation (and maybe power?) could become a
problem.  Of course, if your case hits capacity, you can always buy a couple
new, big drives (since they just keep getting bigger) and swap out an old,
small RAID with a new, bigger one.

The problem, really, is that if you want to scale a single filesystem, you
need LVM.  And to make LVM safe, AFAIK, you have to build it over some
redundancy layer (though, I'm no LVM expert).  RAID is the most obvious way
to do this, and RAID-1 is the simplest way to build this redundancy.

If you don't care about growth, RAID-5 gives you better storage efficiency,
but of course, once it's built, that's it.  It also requires at least 3
drives, so case size is still an issue.

Of course, you could always just go the backup route.  But, if your server
gets big enough, that in itself can become a problem.

Really, it's all about weighing your options.  I figure, I can get a bigger
case and a more hefty power supply.  In exchange, I can grow my system as I
need to, and I needn't worry about a drive failure.

Brett.