[mythtv-users] Using media stored on multiple drives withoutLVM?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 22:33:11 UTC 2006

> Thanks.  GOOD POINT.  Just after I read all the propaganda on the LVM
> howTo
> about why I want LVM too.
>
> But you do have the option of keeping each LV on a separate PV.  It's your
> choice when a filesystem grows bigger than one PV -- either enlarge the LV
> across PV's or make a new LV and filesystem for each new PV.
>
> Did I just lie?  If you have ten PV's each with it's own LV and filesystem
> and you lose one PV, is LVM robust enough to continue accessing the
> remaining LV's and allow you to replace the failed LV?

Well, if you really care about data integrity, build your LVM up over RAID-1
mirrors (which is what I've done).  Yes, it's more expensive, but if a drive
fails, you can:

1) Buy a new drive, add it to the mirror, and deactivate the old one.
2) Buy two new drives, create a new RAID-1, add it to the LV and move all
the data off the old mirror.

Personally, I'd opt for option two (since you'll likely end up with bigger
drives), but either way, it's the best way to go for a robust, scalable
storage solution, IMHO.

Otherwise, yes, if you lose a PV in an LVM, you're in trouble... it's no
different than RAID-0, in that sense, AFAIK.

Brett.