[mythtv-users] serial ports (take two. i think the first one got lost)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:38:41 UTC 2006

On 31/05/06, brian boyle <homepvr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks.
>
>    I just recently replaced my backend server with something newer and much
> more robust (P4D 3gig with a gig of ram and 1.25 terabytes of storage). i am
> very happy with the system except the fact that many new motherboards only
> come with one serial port. this is the case for me and this is a problem as
> i am feeding my two PVR-250's from my two satellite receivers and i need the
> second port to change channels on the second receiver. i bought a startech
> pci serial port card, but i am having trouble with it. I spoke with them and
> they did not have a lot to day about it and i am hoping someone here will be
> able to help. when i do an LSPCI i get the following
>
>  06:02.0 Serial controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835 Multi-I/O Controller
> (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
>         Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Unknown device 0001
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
>         I/O ports at 1070 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1068 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1060 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1058 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1050 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1040 [size=16]
>
> this makes me believe that the OS is aware of the card and it is just not
> installing the drivers. i am including a list of /proc/modules just in case
> it helps.

(Normally you may not see your own messages on the list until someone
replies to them. You can check the gossamer archives to make sure
though ;-) )

Are you seeing any /dev/ttySx devices being created?

## ll /dev/ttyS*

What does your syslog say?

grep "ttyS" /var/log/messages

I might try disabling the onboard serial port and see if this helps at all.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/