[mythtv-users] Static noise over AC3 passthrough

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Tue May 30 23:57:34 UTC 2006

Eric Smith wrote:
> Sorry if this is a repost, browser died while sending the first time....
>
> I'm hoping this issue is a minor one that I am just over-looking but I
> can't seem to figure it out.  I can't get AC3 passthrough to work
> (through mplayer, xine, or myth).  In each case whenever I enable AC3
> I get a horrible pulsating static sound through my receiver and the
> auto detection on the receiver never changes from 2 channel.  Hardware
> wise, I've had the same setup outputting AC3 on a Windows box in the
> past so I'm fairly sure its not a hardware issue.  Any thoughts would
> be greatly appreciated.

I had this issue as well.  Alsa/Myth was sending the AC3 data through
the filter and not to the receiver directly.  To fix it, I had to change
the audio output to ALSA:spdif, or turn off the AC3 passthrough.  I used
the spdif output choice.

This, of course, broke myth music for me, as it didn't run the mp3 data
through the resample filter.  I've not gotten around to fixing it yes,
as getting the AC3 working for the digital broadcasts was more important
to me.