[mythtv-users] Static noise from AC3 passthrough

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:05:06 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, Eric Smith <erictsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping this issue is a minor one that I am just over-looking but I
> can't seem to figure it out.  I can't get AC3 passthrough to work
> (through mplayer, xine, or myth).  In each case whenever I enable AC3
> I get a horrible pulsating static sound through my receiver and the
> auto detection on the receiver never changes from 2 channel.  Hardware
> wise, I've had the same setup outputting AC3 on a Windows box in the
> past so I'm fairly sure its not a hardware issue.  Any thoughts would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> System details:
> Fedora Core 4 2.6.15.1.1833
> Alsa 1.0.10
> Audigy with the emu10k1 driver Using Coax to a digital receiver
> Using Jarod's asoundrc/modprobe with the digital-hw as default
> (although changing this doesn't change the results)

Do you have the same problem if you use the  ALSA:spdif as your sound
device?   I am not that familar with Alsa but I think that is the default
for digital and it causes alsa to ignore your asoundrc.   I could be
way-wrong on that but I have gotten it to work on my system with Alsa:spdif
and no asoundrc at all.

I had a similar problem with pulsating sound when I initially tried AC3 but
it was only present in Mythtv so it is unlikely the same problem as you
have.  But just in case, the solution for me was to turn off 'use video as
timebase' in the playback settings.

Steve