[mythtv-users] Any ideas how to make my hard drive shut up?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Tue May 30 15:09:34 UTC 2006

>Here is my system:
>http://bronosky.com/index.php?p=21
>
>I've been happy with it for several months now, but I'm started to get
>annoyed with the HD performance.  I opted for the HD with 16MB of
>cache, I have 512MB of RAM but for some reason the HD is constantly
>grinding.  I get the feeling that my system isn't using it's hardware
>optimally.  I would think that 512MB would be plenty of RAM for a
>PVR-500 FE/BE system.  However, during playback most of the time the
>HD never stops grinding.

Check that it's not swapping. Make sure you haven't turned on verbose
logging for mythtv. Run as little other things as possible. If things
are competing for disk-access, you'll get more seeking and hence more
noise.
If you've done all that and it's still too noisy, consider using a
suspension mount for your harddrive. You can buy them for around $20,
or make your own with $5 worth of materials. This will prevent
vibrations from transmitting to the case. It made my system a lot
quieter.