[mythtv-users] cannot mkdir //.xmltv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 29 15:17:57 UTC 2006

On 05/29/2006 11:03 AM, Cameron Watt wrote:
> After reading Michaels response I had a look at my
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend script to start the backend (obviously) ;-)
> I thought it might have been the answer to the problems I have running
> mythfilldatabase (using tv_grab_au_reg) where the grabber would fail
> to find the config file. The log file showed it couldn't find the
> config file in /var/log/mythtv/ or something to that effect.
>
> I am running SVN on Gentoo, I modified the init script from one from
> portage for 0.18.2 originally (I think). When I looked at the script I
> found a HOME=/var/log/mythtv in it, fixed this up and it seems to
> work. I can now run mythfilldatabse from the frontend, although I
> think I prefer to use cron as the frontend doesn't have to be running.
> But it is good to get to the bottom of it.

You shouldn't need to run mythfilldatabase from a frontend.  It should
be run on a backend (as a matter of fact, it should be run /only/ on the
master backend).

Also, if you're in the US, allowing the master backend to automatically
run mythfilldatabase is /very much/ the preferred solution (over cron)
because it allows Myth to do so at whatever time TMS asked you to run
again.  Therefore, TMS is able to spread out resource usage--which means
that DataDirect is less likely to fail, which means that we will be able
to continue to get high-quality listings data for MythTV.

Mike