[mythtv-users] Is there any way to get more than 1 input from a satellite tuner?

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Mon May 29 15:13:50 UTC 2006

> On 05/28/2006 09:30 AM, Moasat wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean On 05/28/2006 06:46 AM
>
>> > DISH's dual-tuner receivers will /only/ accept an RF signal for one
>> > of the tuners. Therefore, you can't change channels on the RF-only
>> > side using an IR blaster (so the IR transmitter using multiple
>> > remote codes only works with multiple DISH receivers).

>> > Good luck building an RF transmitter for the system, though...
>
>> If the STBs have serial ports, you should change channels that way.
>
> None of the DISH network STB's have serial ports (neither dual-tuner nor
> single tuner ones).
>
> Mike

I think I mentioned there are some "gotchas". :)

Then you need mpg4 compatible receivers for HD from satellite. If you
want that and dual receivers Dish offers the VIP622 which has two
satellite tuners and a OTA tuner and records to a hard drive but only
has one HD output so it could be used instead of mythtv but not with
mythtv. Satellite doesn't come easy or cheap.
The VIP622 would make a great foundation for a mythtv hack though! ;)