[mythtv-users] Backend quits functioning

Austin Roberts mythtv at ausiv.com
Mon May 29 14:34:22 UTC 2006

Hi,
I'm running MythTV 0.18 on an Ubuntu Dapper Drake beta system. I seem to
have three different kinds of issues in which the backend stops functioning.

The first is that it just quits. The daemon dies, and it's gone. It never
seems to do this in the middle of recording something, so if that were the
extent of my problems I'd just set up a monitor to restart it when it dies.

The second (and most frequent) scenario is that it doesn't quit, but somehow
"loses" the list of shows its supposed to record, and doesn't record
anything until I restart the backend.

The third scenario has only happened twice, but what happens is that it
records the right timeslot on the same channel as the last show it recorded.
This is not consistent. Say I'm going to be recording four shows, all on
different channels. The first is fine, the second records on the same
channel as the first, but the third and fourth record on their own channels.

In all the searching for answers I've done, I've seen some other people
mention problems with Via Motherboards, which is what I have (and getting
another motherboard is not an option at the moment).

Typically, I like to do my own trouble shooting as much as possible, but
I've not found anything to work with. I can't reproduce the problem, and it
doesn't seem to be creating any logs for me to work with. Can anyone help me
with any of these problems?

-Austin