[mythtv-users] Is there any way to get more than 1 input from a satellite tuner?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sun May 28 08:35:18 UTC 2006

On 5/27/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/27/2006 01:54 PM, Chad wrote:
> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to arrange things when using
> > multiple STB's?  Assuming my Myth box has 3 PVR-500's in it, I don't
> > really want to have 4 STB's (including the Myth box)
>
> Wouldn't you need 7 including the Myth box (since the PVR-500's have
> dual encoders)?  :)

Heh heh, no, I was thinking 3 STB's, and the rest the analog inputs,
but in the case of all from the STB's, yeah 7 it would be ;)

> >  in my living
> > room.  I can think of 1 option (that is variable) where you put your
> > other STB's in some closet and have a frontend-only in your living
> > room to display the recordings on the backend.  But I was kind of
> > hoping for a 1 computer configuration.  Any pointers on arranging 3+
> > STB's to not look like a monstrosity of STB's?
> >

> My approach involved one combined frontend/backend with 2 PVR-x50's, two
> DISH satellite receivers, a wall, and a drill.  Everything is in another
> room except my TV and speakers, and a video cable and speaker cables run
> through the hole in the wall.  Also works with (well ventilated)
> closets--assuming the distances are reasonable.
>
> I really think my "entertainment center" looks a lot better than one
> with everything crammed in a cabinet.  I'd even go so far as to say my
> dirt-cheap-but-extremely-ugly Myth box case looks better than the
> smallest, sleekest, most expensive HTPC case you could find (since mine
> is invisible).  I do have to walk to another room to put an optical disk
> in the player, but most of the time, the content I watch is already on
> the Myth box, so that's not that big an issue (and helps me get more
> exercise).
>
> Also, if it weren't illegal for me to play back DVD's on my Myth box and
> if a friend brought a movie on DVD over to my place and if I happened to
> walk into the other room when that friend wanted to watch the DVD, the
> look of confusion on my friend's face would probably be very funny.  I'm
> just guessing, though, because it is illegal for me to play back DVD's
> on my Myth box, so of course I have never done so.
>
> Mike

That's not too bad of an idea!  I don't know how many of my family
members will go with that approach (or if it's even feasible in their
living arrangments) but it sure is a nice thought.  I guess another
option would be to have some sort of additional A/V Rack and stack the
STB's all over it; you could probably make it look slightly appealing!
 :D

Thanks again!

Chad