[mythtv-users] Record AC3 from Satellite SPDIF In Help

stan stanlist at cox.net
Fri May 26 21:38:18 UTC 2006

Thanks Mike.

I just verified what you said.  I unplugged my audio loopback cable
(connecting PVR-350 audio out to mobo line-in) and recorded from (1) RF
input and (2) s-video/analog audio input.  Then I plugged the loopback cable
back in and played back the two recordings. AUDIO WAS IN THE RECORDED MPEG'S
just as you would have predicted.

Dawgone.

Is there another thread on synchronization (assuming I figure out how to
read the spdif input)?  I'm guessing once the video/spdif time delta is
established it wouldn't vary because the s-video and spdif are in sync when
they leave the satellite box (as least within the range my brain can adapt
to).

So, I'm thinking you would basically

1.  Start the mpeg stream coming in from the PVR-x50
2.  As quick as you can start the spdif stream coming in.

Have a tuning function where the user could move a slider until A/V looks
synchronized.  Then use this delta all the time to add the spdif stream to
the mpeg stream obtained from steps 1 and 2.

Am I reinventing the wheel?

Does MythTV deal with capture cards that don't have hardware encoding?  Does
MythTV get separate audio and video streams then, or does some driver handle
mixing the audio and video for Myth?

--stan