[mythtv-users] inserting cut point behaviour

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 26 04:25:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:17:07PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> you can load the commercial points into the cut list. I usually start
> with this then move them as needed.

Sometimes I do this, too, but I usually don't bother.  Commercial
flagging of Australian programming is not quite reliable enough.  It
probably flags about 60% or 70% of commercial breaks, and maybe 10% or
20% of flagged breaks are not really breaks.  More importantly, most
correctly flagged break starts or ends are off by a several frames up
to maybe 10 seconds.  So I still have to visit every flagged break and
adjust its endpoints, and I still have to step through space between
breaks in 1 minute steps to be sure I didn't miss any breaks.

With the scheme I proposed, commflagging could serve as a starting
point to help you find breaks faster.  It could start out checking 10
or so seconds on each side of the commflagged start of a break and
pretty quickly find the correct place to start the cut, and similarly
for the flagged end of the break.  Then, whenever the time between two
confirmed breaks is small enough, it could immediately confirm that
space as non-commercial without having to step through it, because a
commercial break would not fit in that space.  So editing could be
significantly accelerated by commflagging the recording, without
having to trust the commflagging.

This scheme saves editing time because you don't have to manually
reduce the skip time as you hone in on the cut points and manually
increase it afterward.  But more importantly it makes the job simpler,
since you mostly just hit one of two buttons (either "this frame is
commercial" or "this frame is non-commercial"), and myth does the
thinking for you.  I belive this can all be done by adding an
interpretation for these two buttons to the current edit mode, so
people who like the old way wouldn't be affected.

I've been meaning to implement this, but I'm working on a much simpler
extension at the moment.  If anyone can point me to the place in the
source code where cutlist editing is done, I'd really appreciate it.

--
Peter Schachte              Never do anything against conscience even if the
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        state demands it.