[mythtv-users] mini-itx core-duo frontend for HD content

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Thu May 25 16:32:16 UTC 2006

Jacob Sheck wrote:

> I have a HD3000 capturing all kinds of content on my backend server.  I
> have been able to tweak my P4 2.53 533FSB to almost play HD content
> smoothly.  I am now trying to come up with the most cost effective way
> to play HD content smoothly, with spdif and YPbPr connections.  I love
> my via M10000 runing linpvr, but the CLE266 just doesn't cut it.  Can
> anyone confirm or deny that the core duo can play back; smoothly Full HD
> 1080i recordings?  The guys over at logic supply have an interesting
> board, that I think would be a good solution if I can get the play back
> going.  http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/552.  If
> I am totaly out in left field here, I would love suggestions on the
> cheapest way to play hd content smoothly, the only other option I see
> now, would be a pentium 4 630, or a pentium d something.

The motherboard looks nice, but it appears to be a somewhat costly
solution (motherboard: $315.00, CPU: $242.99, and (for me) DVI adapter:
$79). Is size an issue for you? If not, it would seem like this
motherboard
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813137082> in this
case <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129014>
would be a lower cost solution.

In time, I would like to switch from my VIA and NVIDIA based MythTV
front ends to Intel based MythTV front ends. However, I have been
waiting from the prices to come down. For now, I am using AMD Athlon64
processors and NVIDIA chipsets to play my HD content.

By the way, if you get this motherboard and want to continue to use
MiniMyth with it, then let me know (I am Pablo at linpvr.org). In
addition to the VIA based VIA EPIA motherboard support, MiniMyth already
contains support for the NVIDIA based ASUS A8N-VM CSM motherboard and
(incomplete) support for the Intel based Commell LV-675 motherboard.
Adding support for this motherboard to MiniMyth would be relatively
simple, assuming that you are willing to help with the debugging of the
init scripts.