[mythtv-users] dbox2 SPTS incompatibility with mythfrontend

Rob Jones robj at fastmail.fm
Thu May 25 13:53:30 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my dbox2 cable receiver to play with mythtv (0.19
fixes branch). I've got the two talking together, and have been able to
get mythtv to receive an SPTS stream from the dbox. The problem occurs
when I try and play back the file. I get an error from mythfrontend that
it can't find a suitable codec for the file.

My gut instinct was that the PMT was missing from the TS and that myth
didn't know what to treat the TS as, but I've
successfully been able to get VLC to play the stream without any
problems. As far as I can tell, its just a plain SPTS stream with one
MPEG2 video stream and a couple of audios and a subtitle track, but
mythfrontend refuses to touch it.

Could anyone suggest a way to diagnose what exactly myth doesn't like
about it?

Also, on a side note, this dbox is used as a set-top box rather than
just as a myth input device. Therefore it would be useful to lock the
remote when streaming to myth is taking place (this can be done, I
believe the sage-tv mythtv plugin which uses ggrab does this), and to
prevent epg scanning altogether as the epg data is retrieved through
xmltv. Any way I can pass this on to the maintainer of the dbox/mythtv
code? If not a spot of patching may be in order!

Cheers,

Rob