[mythtv-users] Couple of issues in Myth TOT.

Eric Weiss eric_weiss at mac.com
Thu May 25 02:31:43 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this list of mythtv-dev would be more appropriate to
ask question about running mythtv out of ToT, but I'll try here and
apologize in advance if I'm wrong.

My name's Eric.  I'm working with a group of folks at Stanford on an
ME project where we are building an input device for controlling a
media center.  Because it offers a ton of nice benefits, we would like
to use MythTV as our media center UI medium.  Thanks for making such a
cool (and open!) project.

We are quickly approaching (like, very quickly) the deadline for our
final prototype, and trying to work through a couple of remaining
issues we're having wrt MythTV.  Any feedback or help you could offer
would be fantastic.

We've been using Myth .19 for quite some time, but desperately needed
the ability to control interface via a cursor, which was just recently
made possible in the current sources.  This is why we're working off
TOT primarily.

Here are a couple of issues that are among our last remaining show
stoppers.  If would be enormously helpful if someone could comment on
workarounds, fixes in the works, possible configuration issues on our
part, etc.  I don't have the revision number offhand, but we were
seeing these with the myth* sources as of TOT 2 days ago.  I've been
listening to the lists the last few days and searching the archives/
bug database and haven't found any clues on my own.  At the same time
I'm not familiar with myth development, so pardon my ignorance.

We're running FC5, with a Hauppage PVR-350 capture card, and an ATI
Express 200 on an HP Pavilion a310n (2.2GHz athlon), lots of ram (1GB,
big disk)

1) There is this crossfade effect that happens transitioning between
top-level menu sets (ie the main menu, and all of the submenus you can
get to from there.  The effect is quite pretty, but happens incredibly
slowly.  Like, it takes about 15 seconds to completely fade the menu
menu into the Media Library section.  Same is true for all of the
others.  This happens with all of the themes we've tried.  This makes
browsing the UI anything but smooth, which is a shame.  Is this a
known issue?  The rest of the interface is quite smooth and we didn't
see this in .19, so I doubt this is a "hardware too slow" issue.

2) There are a number of areas where cursor nav/clicking is not yet
supported.  Specifically, it would be really great for such support to
exist in the TV Guide, since it is a nice big grid, and selecting an
arbitrary location is a big part of what out input device attempts to
make easy.  Is support for selecting a listing from the guide going to
exist any time soon?

I'll stick with those two for the moment, actually.  I have a couple
more, but I don't have the details with me that I thought I did, so I
don't want to bring them up until I can describe them more fully.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Again, Myth is quite an impressive
project.  Keep it up!

Thanks,
Eric