[mythtv-users] Help please with Change Inputs on TV Tuner card

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed May 24 14:38:02 UTC 2006

On 5/23/06, stan <stanlist at cox.net> wrote:
> I was waiting for someone to jump in with the real answer since I'm fairly
> new myself, but I'll suggest some stuff to try while you're waiting...
>
> I have a PVR-350 with two inputs running on Fedora FC4.  I have two inputs
> to the card, my roof antenna for local channels going into the RF tuner
> input and a Dish satellite TV box feeding the cards s-video (I assume
> equivalent to your composite input) and mobo analog sound inputs.
>
> I defined the two card inputs as you did.
>
> Mine might be a little different because I also defined two sources on
> Zap2It, one for my local channels and one for Dish TV.
>
> I set each input from the card (I called them over-the-air and dish) to the
> appropriate feed from Zap2It (I think it was on the input connections screen
> that it let me choose one Zap2It thing or the other).  Then I clicked
> something that said "download info from listing source" or something like
> that.  I think it got the channel and frequency info from Zap2It rather than
> scanning.
>
> I don't have an IR blaster yet.  I planned to manually set the channel on my
> Dish box to feed the PVR-350 s-video when I wasn't watching over the air TV.
>
> All was well for live TV.  I switched from RF tuner input to s-video input
> by selecting a Dish TV channel.
>
> Then I tried to record from a Dish TV channel, and it didn't work.  The
> mythbackend log file said something about an error trying to change
> channels.
>
> Bottom line is this:  Zap2it must have given me some frequencies for the
> Dish TV channels.  I have no idea what those frequencies would mean because
> the Dish TV box is an absolute requirement.  Live TV switched properly from
> RF to s-video though even though it got the channel changing error.  When
> mythbackend gets an error it doesn't record.  It did, though, let me watch
> live TV.
>
> The solution for me was to define a dummy IR blaster channel changing script
> that did nothing more than echo "The channel changing script is running" and
> point to the script in the channel changing script field in input
> connections?? (I think that's where it was).  That worked perfectly.  My
> dummy echo command even wound up in the mythbackend log.
>
> So, if you don't any other recommendations, you might try somehow defining
> channels for your composite input and using a dummy channel change script
> rather than the keyboard c command (which I haven't tried).
>
> I'm not sure you'll need frequencies (that you won't be using) defined for
> your composite input channels, but you might need the dummy channel changing
> script.

Stan,

Thank you for your detailed answers - I really appreciate you taking the time
to explain how you got your PVR-350 inputs working.

I need to know one more thing about your version of MythTV - is it 0.18 or 0.19?
I have two systems, one 0.18 and one 0.19.  The 0.18 works just as you describe,
with a channel defined using the Channel Editor, recording from the dish (4DTV).
The 4DTV has program timers, so it's quite easy to set one of its timers to
correspond with a manually scheduled recording in MythTV.  Works really well.

Duplicating the setup on the 0.19 system, Channel Editor defined channel, etc.,
just has me baffled, because the recording has zero-length.  The switch to the
Composite1 input fails.

Again, thanks for providing all the info on how you got your system working.
Please let me know if it's 0.18 or 0.19.  Thanks.

--
MM