[mythtv-users] Samba for LiveTV?

stan stanlist at cox.net
Tue May 23 18:59:51 UTC 2006

"What about other clients" was key to getting liveTV working over samba.

Here's what I did.

1.  On my myth box I defined /video/recordings (where my program files go)
as a shared samba area and allowed access to everyone (but see problems).
This share was named "recordings".
2.  Changed the /var/www/html/mythweb/config/conf.php file to add one of the
define video-url example lines to say
	define('video_url', 'file://192.168.0.11/recordings');
Where 192.168.0.11 is my mythTV machine.  I used the IP address in case the
original web link used it rather than the machine name.
3.  Here's the key:  I downloaded and installed VLC for windows and changed
the file association for "mpg" from Windows Media Player to VLC.

VLC seems to behave differently from Windows Media Player when playing
dynamically growing files such as the live TV mpg file.  Windows Media
Player stops when it gets to where it originally thought was the end of the
file, but VLC keeps going.

All works well from my client Windows machine connected to MythWeb running
over my gigabit lan (but I seem to be getting only 120 mega bits per second
over it -- but that's another problem).

Problem remaining:

I can't connect to the file from my wife's machine.  I think the difference
is that I have a linux account and samba account on the MythTV machine.  All
account ID's and passwords are the same between everything I have on the
MythTV machine and my Windows machine.  When I "map network drive" from
Windows to remotely mount anything samba on the MythTV machine, it just
happens; no dialog box for user ID and password.  But, when I do the same
"map network drive" from my wife's machine (who has no accounts on the
MythTV machine), I get the userID/password dialog box.

I've tried several things to totally open up samba on the MythTV machine to
everyone, none of them worked.

Any ideas?