[mythtv-users] Leadtek 6200 HDCP Support

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Mon May 22 22:07:21 UTC 2006

> As a follow up to an earlier post asking about DVI to HDMI vs component
> on a Leadtek 6200, I inquired from Leadtek if their version of the 6200
> series supports HDCP. Their repsonse was :
>
> Dear Customer,
>
> Sorry,this graphics card not support to HDCP function,maybe in the
> future.
>
> Thank you for your letter!
> *Best regards,*
> **
> *Marketing Department, Leadtek Research Inc.
> *
>

> I may still try to attach a DVI to HDMI cable to see what happens, but
> my guess is it will not work properly.

You are mis-interpreting what HDCP is all about.  Having HDCP built in
to your TV simply means that it will accept data streams encoded with
HDCP such as a BluRay DVD player.  If HDCP is not encoded into the data
stream, the TV simply displays whatever it is sent.  This means that TVs
without HDCP cannot display BluRay DVDs but any HD compatible set can
display a non-encoded standard HD picture regardless of whether they are
HDCP capable or not.  The MPAA and Microsoft will try to change that to
further restrict what you can do, but they're not there yet.

The principle is similar to color or stereo.  If color information is
present, your TV can display color - otherwise you see black and white.
  If stereo encoding is present, you hear stereo - otherwise mono.