[mythtv-users] make error

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Mon May 22 14:26:03 UTC 2006

On 5/22/06, Harry Lipkind <hil at hiltech.com> wrote:

> Allan
>
> Thank you for getting back to me.
>
> The version of ivtv I am trying to build is 0.6.2
>
> I pulled in the previous version (0.4.5) and tried to build it.  It
> stopped with an error message that 0.4.5 only works for versions up
> through 2.6.15
>
> The kernel I am trying to build against is 2.6.16.14- 6-default.  Any
> help available will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Harry
>
> On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 21:05 -0500, Allan Wilson wrote:
> > On 5/21/06, Harry Lipkind <hil at hiltech.com> wrote:
> >         Hi
> >
> >         Going back many years I have written software, built software
> >         systems,
> >         etc.  All my work was in Fortran with some custom assembly
> >         language
> >         modules where I needed capabilities that Fortran didn't
> >         have.  I don't
> >         know "C" or "C++".
> >
> >         I am trying to build the ivtv module for 2.6.16.  I pulled in
> >         the
> >         compressed module, unpacked it, and read the
> >         instructions.  When I try
> >         to run 'make' the system complains about errors on two lines
> >         which I
> >         beleive are 490 and 493.  The error text is:
> >
> >           driver ivti-osd.c  error - expected ) before string
> >         constant.
> >
> >         I looked at the text in vi and the parenthteses are balanced
> >         on those
> >         lines.  They read as:
> >
> >         MODULE_PARM(ivtv_fb_card_id, "i");
> >         MODULE_PARM(osd_init, "i");
> >
> >         I understand that utilities can loose line count - can someone
> >         help me
> >         figure out where the problem is?
> >
> >         Thank you
> >
> >         Harry Lipkind

> > I am not sure what version of ivtv you are trying to load but you may
> > want to try going back one version and see if you have any luck before
> > burning a lot of time on it.
> >
> > Alllan

I am not sure why you could not compile I didn't have any problem with that
version on Ubuntu and my system but everyone has different hardware. You may
try the ivtv mailing list
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Mailinglists
hopefully they can give you more detail on the problem since your having
troubles just compiling. Once you get it installed and you have any problems
hopefully we can be more helpful.

Allan