[mythtv-users] Best Approach with Connection of a Leadtek 6200 to HDTV

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Sun May 21 16:35:51 UTC 2006

I recently purchased an Hitachi 42HDS52 Plasma TV that has both
component and HDMI inputs.  I have a Leadtek 6200 card with component
out capability and a DVI connector.  I'm wondering what my best
approach is to connect this to the TV.  My first inclination was to
purchase a DVI to HDMI cable except the operating manual has this blurb:

The HDMI input on INPUT 1 and 2 contains the copy protection system
called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). HDCP is a
cryptographic system that encrypts video signals when using HDMI
connections to prevent illegal copying of video contents.

I'm going to guess that the TV is going to treat my myth box as an
illegal source. If that's the case, I need to go component.  I have
read a bit through the archives and see that getting the 6200 to work
properly with a setting other than 480p is problematic mainly due to
the Nvidia drivers and calculating a proper modeline. My manual is
unclear, but it appears that my plasma supports 720p natively though
it bills itself as a 1080i Display.  The native resolution of the
plasma is 1024x1024.

Knowing this, if given a choice would you try to get the 6200
working, or would I be best served buying an AA9A60 and using
Powerstrip to configure?

Thanks for your input.