[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs. Geforce 5200/PVR-150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 21 16:28:50 UTC 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Varanger wrote:

> On 5/16/06, Varanger <varanger at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> #2, you can get an MCE version of the 150 (no remote) and save some $$
> $, which you can use to get more hard disk space, you will need it :-)
>

> I'll start buying the Geforce 5200 first. Do you think I will be
> able to use the tv-out feature without a monitor???
>

> I am sad to discover that I don't have a AGP 8X slot so I'll have
> to buy a PCI Geforce 5200 which is TV-out only, not DVI. It is good
> right now because I don't have any LCD or Plama TV's right now.

Obviously I do not know what your financial situation is, but
purchasing a PCI video card is a "dead end" in that you can't use it
in a future system.

A better answer technically would be to bet a motherboard with an AGP
slot, which is still a bit of a "dead end" what with PCI-Express
happening, but I think AGP boards will be around for many years yet.

Of course this answer will cost you a bit more, but if you shop
around carefully you might be surprised how little you can get an AGP
mobo for, there are a lot of people trading up to PCI-Express
machines who are getting rid of their old boards.

You will also have no chance of ever running HD with a PCI video board.

It's just that you will pay a premium price for a PCI video board in
some cases, and ultimately wind up tossing it, and I hate to see you
do that if you can avoid it, at the very least be aware of what you
are doing.