[mythtv-users] Myth Permissions, sound and auto login

Nick Ellson grimm at nickellson.com
Sun May 21 15:43:23 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to set my MythTV frontend (also the backend) so that from a
power on/reset it will come up and load the Mythfrontend.

I created a lowly user, told gnome to auto-login as that user. (that seems
to work)

I have a dual output GeForce 4 (using the DMI for Myth, the CRT for
administration) And I normally start mythfront end like this:

DISPLAY=":0.1" mythfrontend

My lowly user couldn't do that and capture the sound card. (Even the gnome
panel audio control stays permanently muted.) So I have the user "sudo"
start the command above. That "kinda" worked.. Watching .iso movie rips
works fine, but LiveTV has no sound. When I run alsamixer all my outputs
are un-muted and at high volume. The same effect with MythMusic, it sees
all my .mp3's, but will not play any of them. My MP3 directory is 777
even.

I am not sure if the reason I am having audio troubles is due to how I
have my lowly user set-up. When I was just running a root account,
everything worked (MythDVD/MythTV/MythMusic)

I have also noticed that the MythTV module has odd behavior. If I have shows
in the program queue ready to record, and I add one, I no longer see ANY
of them. I have to drop the back-end and restart it, then my previous
programs and my new one show up. If I am watching LIVE TV and I hit
record, that taping works, but never shows up in the "Previously
Recorded" list of shows, again until I restart Mythbackend.

I would like to keep the auto login idea so my family doesn't have to mess
with Linux. If I try to start the frontend before the GDM desktop is up,
it fails to get my DISPLAY=":0.1" (as that display is still the B&W Xorg
cross-hatching.)

I am sorry if I have posted unrelated problems, but just in case all are
related in an obvious way I thought it might help.

Has anyone done the auto-login method using GDM that would share how you
set it up?

Nick

--
Nick Ellson