[mythtv-users] Netbooting Fedora Core 5

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Sun May 21 02:18:54 EDT 2006

Hello,

I've successfully built diskless frontend using FC5 and
> system-config-netboot, NFS, PXE etc. I had no previous experience on the
> diskless stuff, PXE or even NFS but got it working. I have to admit that
> this was the trickiest part of the whole myth system setup. My diskless
> frontend is connected through 54M WLAN to the backend.
>
> I think diskless clients are usually built around the idea that you are
> running them in schools, libraries etc. environments where you don't
> want users to be able to mess with the root partition.
>
> Because of the package updates, installations etc. I needed the whole
> filesystem to be read-write, not read-only. I didn't find any easier way
> so I ended up slightly to modify one of the system-config-netboot
> scripts so that now the root partition also gets mounted as a read-write
> through NFS.
>
> Just in case you haven't notice, there is a Diskless Frontend page in
> Wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Diskless_Frontend
> --

Well, i didn't know that was there. Hmmm just looked through it. It's seems
like a bit much for me. But as with all things, you are only limted by your
desire to learn. The net is an amazing resource to be able to learn new
things.

At some stange in the close future i will have to do something like this, as
i said untill i have the hardware, i cant do a thing.

In saying that, i have a celeron that i was going to use as teh frontend
with the CF card. Hmmm i wonder if it is possable for me to get this to
happen with squat i know about linux..... Ohh well that is what this is all
about.

THanks