[mythtv-users] OT - FX5200 at Frys today

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 20 01:13:52 UTC 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 6:35 PM, Decent Guy wrote:

> Brain,
>
> By the way, just to clarify so that there is no confusion, I don't
> know if it can handle HDTV content or not.  PNY calls the included
> dongle "HDTV-out breakout pod" which basially includes component
> out.  (I think my usage of the word HDTV stirred the whole
> confusion in the first place).  This doesn't really mean the
> chipset can decode HDTV in the hardware.
>
> Judging from this chart (look for the 6200 column),
>
>   http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html
>
> it actually may NOT support hardware decoding for HD content.  SD
> content does list mpeg2 hardware decoding.   One may have to step
> up to 6600 for a HD decoder.

I just wonder where in the circuit the components are taken off,
the"TV encoder" has limited resolution but I think (hope) that only
refers to the NTSC encoder, which would be after the component signal
generation.

That chart is interesting, I think that perhaps it should find its
way into the WiKi (or a link to it), and yes, I am volunteering to do
that.

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "decode acceleration", as the
amount of "assistance" could vary considerably. XV could be
considered acceleration, but so could XvMC, and they are very
different animals.

It also appears that if you want "help" with H-264 the cheaper cards
are what you want.

"Bad Edit Correction" could be anything from correcting color framing
to putting Aunt Martha in the shot when you wanted Uncle Bill, I wish
they would be more specific, but I guess it's hard to be in a short
chart aimed at consumers.

Finally, I'm not at all sure if all of these features are supported
by the Linux drivers, "Pure Video" seems to be a marketing thing
aimed at ATI's Viiv and the Windows crowd.

Thanks for the info.