[mythtv-users] Samba for LiveTV?

stan stanlist at cox.net
Fri May 19 18:53:48 UTC 2006

I'd like to watch recorded programs and liveTV on any computer in the house.
It looks like MythStreamTV provides this functionality, but the installation
looks risky.

So, I looked for an easier way and found I could watch recorded programs
with a samba link launched with MythWeb.  I always keep samba going on my
myth machine to easily move files around anyway.

This URL provided the needed hints:
http://svn.wilsonet.com/projects/mythtvology/ticket/88

The above URL mentioned editing the MythWeb config file
(/var/www/html/mythweb/config/conf.php) and adding a line:

    define ('video_url','myth:\\\Mythbackend\\recordings');

This didn't work with a simple MythWeb launch of Windows Media Player.  (But
the article gave instructions for installing other things which I didn't
do.)

What does the URL of the form myth:\\\Mythbackend\recordings\filePath  mean?
What does the myth: portion mean?

I used define('video url', 'file://media1/recordings'); in the config file
and got Windows Media Player to launch and play a recorded program by
clicking on the recorded program thumbnail in MythWeb.  No other changes
were needed.  (I should mention that MythTV stores all recordings from my
PVR-350 as mpg files rather than nuv files.)

This worked so well and was so easy to configure (just one line in one
config file and adding one samba share from the samba gui configurator) I'd
recommend it for RECORDED programs.

So I tried it on liveTV.  I switched to the Live TV section in MythWeb and
clicked on the program I was currently watching.  Windows Media Player
launched and played the program from when I started liveTV from mythfrontend
UP TO THE TIME that I had clicked to launch Windows Media Player.  At that
point Windows Media Player thought it was done and stopped.

Are there any tricks to make Windows Media Player keep going?  I'm not sure
why it stops.  Possibly samba is sending an end of file (doubtful) or Media
Player is using the file size obtained at initialization.  Any ideas?

--stan