[mythtv-users] Skip hangs for some recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 19 13:44:17 UTC 2006

On 05/18/2006 09:15 PM, Leighton Brough wrote:

>I've searched the email list archive, but I can't find anything that
>looks like a solution to my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>I'm using myth 0.19-fixes to record HD. For around a third of the
>recordings, I find I cannot skip forward or back, or rewind/fast-forward
>- the front-end simply hangs while the disk churns. Sometimes, if I am
>very patient, after say 5 or 10 minutes the the frontend will return to
>the menu. This problem seems to apply to both shows that are currently
>recording, and those that have previously recorded. I have never had a
>problem with live TV.

Have you checked your database?  Sounds like your seek tables may be
corrupt.  You can fix it by running optimize_mythdb.pl (from the contrib
directory of the MythTV source distribution).  And, BTW, I highly
recommend running optimize_mythdb.pl daily in a cron job (as recommended
in the comments at the top of the script).

If your database had corruption (in recordedmarkup), after running the
script, your new recordings will work fine, but you'll have to run
"mythcommflag --rebuild" on all your "broken" recordings.

Mike