[mythtv-users] Calling Rochester, MN mythTV users

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Fri May 19 02:51:42 EDT 2006

Well I'll follow up to my own email so as to help future myth users who
search the archives.

When the cable installer came out, I asked him about a box with
firewire, and he asked why.  I explained to him how I would be using it
in myth, and he said he had heard of myth but never heard of recording
via firewire.  At this point I asked if he knew whether it would be
avail.  He said i'd need to schedule an installation.  I told him him
thats ridiculous and he said there was "no way" for me to go pick up the
box myself.  I asked if his installation would cover him setting it up
in myth, and he said no ;)

Well I carried on over to the office and had to talk to several people
until I eventually got where I needed.  "Patty" who is in charge of the
warehouse on the 37th St NW location knows about my situation, and if
you ask to talk with her will more than likely be able to get you a box.

She got me a moto 6200 series box which appears to have everything
needed to be a standalone dvr except the firmware.  They want people to
use the moxi boxes for their dvr service instead.

*All* channels that you are subscribed to are available over firewire.
I was shocked, but even looking in the diagnostics menu - I haven't seen
a single channel that had 5C=1.

When I first got the box, I tried all the premium channels that I won't
have, and they worked too.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the
stuff in the extra HD Tier, ESPN HD,UHD, and a few others.

HBOHD,ShowHD,MaxHD, and the local HDs come in just fine.

Unfortunately, I already ordered a PVR-500 for this computer before I
realized all the channels available over firewire, but oh well.