[mythtv-users] Recommended GeForce 5200 Cards

Carl Litt litt at execulink.com
Thu May 18 06:04:40 UTC 2006

Hi all,

So I gather from the archives that the 5200 is the way to go with
MythTV.  But there are several vendors shipping cards with this GPU
(namely XFX, eVGA, Asus, etc).

My question to the list is: Which vendor makes the best 5200 card?  By
best, I'm looking primarily for high quality SD TV-out, and secondly
ones with no GPU fan or a very quiet one.

I've seen discussions saying that the TV out quality depends alot on
what TV encoder chip is used.  The 5200 supposedly has an integrated TV
encoder, but do any of the vendors use an external Conexant or Chrontel?
  I think I heard that the NV onboard encoder gave low quality output.

Alternatively, is there a good motherboard with onboard 5200 and TV out?

And at the risk of hijacking my own thread, what about the cards based
on the 5500?

Thanks,
Carl