[mythtv-users] just bought an SP13000, did I make a stupid mistake?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Wed May 17 13:01:46 EDT 2006

Kevin Slater wrote:

> Greg (or others),
>
> maybe you can clear up some confusion:
>
> Unichrome? Openchrome? Which to use? Why two different projects? Does
> anything take advantage of the mpeg4 acceleration that the CN400
> chipset provides?
>
> I know of a few distros that were either slanted towards, supported or
> specifically targeted at the via epia series: epios, minimyth, imedia,
> knoppmyth. Is any of these worth starting with? I need my box to be
> both front and backends (so I think that knocks out Larry Matter's
> minimyth).
>
> ...Kevin

I know this reply is a bit late but I've been on a cruise ship :)

Unichrome was started by a developer named Luc who recruited a couple of
other guys named Ivor and Thomas who had also been working on code and
kernel patches for the CLE266 chipset for X video, and MPEG2
acceleration.  Then Unichrome was forked to create OpenChrome.  This was
done for 2 reasons.  (1) Luc tended to be a bit abrasive and Ivor and
Thomas had backed away from Unichrome along with a bunch of other
developers.  (2) Ivor had been creating a set of patches for Unichrome
that also enabled MPEG2 acceleration for the CN400 chipset (used on your
EPIA-SP motherboard).

Unichrome by this point had been incorporated into the 2.6 kernel, so if
you want MPEG2 on an EPIA-SP you need to use the OpenChrone code instead
of the Unichrome code.

Hope that is of some use.