[mythtv-users] Firewire in Myth

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Wed May 17 01:14:36 EDT 2006

On 5/14/06, Wylie Swanson <wylie.swanson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I was also wondering what steps is everyone using to troubleshoot. For
> > example if test-mpeg won't record anything I know you should make sure
> your
> > modules are loaded but what else should I check? Maybe if we can come up
> > with a list here of things to check I'll volunteer to put it on the wiki
> > give a list of things to troubleshoot. Thanks for the snv stuff Matt
> I'll
> > give it a shot tonight.
> >
> > Allan

> I have been using firewire without problems (for the most part) for
> about six months.  Sometimes when I can't get firewire to work, I have
> to plug a device into the second firewire port (like a video camera)
> and turn it on and off.  Only then does the system seem to see the
> device via plugreport.  Recently, Cox upgraded my SA3250's (and they
> were counting backwards in hexadecimal; this is how I know this), and
> now I am unable to get firewire working on one box -- the other box
> channel change is completely random (totally hosed)... and the other
> box is not visible via plugreport at all anymore....  I have dropped
> back to using my ATSC card for some of the primary channels HDTV (NBC,
> ABC, CBS, etc) via ATSC QAM256.

Just to put an update out there I finally am able to get firewire to work
fairly reliably. Thanks for all the help. I ended up having restart the
cable box and then running

plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=0
 plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1

To get the port to start working if it ever stopped but it really only hangs
when I am playing with the settings. Also one strange note I hade to turn
off p2p connections then turn it on to work. I'll add this to the end of my
mythbackend script and it should fix me up. Again thanks for all the help.

Allan