[mythtv-users] Digital Television In US

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue May 16 17:24:38 EDT 2006

>I may have misunderstood the question, but I know many
>places have free over-the air HDTV.  Check the antennaweb.org
>site and see what they can tell you.
>
> I am in Seattle, and from where I am, I can get several stations
>over the air with just an antenna and the card.  I have tried both
>the HD3000 and one of the 40$ cards off ebay and both work
>about the same.
>
>Our PBS station here broadcasts multple channels over the antenna,
>including the digital one and the HDTV channel.  Also, our CBS, ABC,
>and NBC seem to be putting digital over the air as well.  The olympics
>came in HDTV, and shows like The Office come in HDTV as well.  The
>format of theose stations switches between high and standard def, so
>I would assume that they are digital most of the time.

They are ALL digital ALL the time on ALL channels.  Digital is not
synonymous with SD, HD or even quality. It's just the new method
of broadcasts, and will be the only method with analog broadcasts
stops (2009?). But, it doesn't necessarily mean the quality or
resolution of your favorite show or channel will be any better.

The SD channel (if offered by the broadcaster) is always digital, but
only outputs a 480 signal (same resolution as analog broadcasts).
The HD channel is also always digital, but the resolution of each
broadcast varies.  And even  while watching a 1080 show, the adverts
are usually in 480.