[mythtv-users] mythmusic and spdif not working

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:42:31 EDT 2006

On 15/05/06, Bert Haverkamp <bert at bertenselena.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Last weekend I started playing with my new receiver JVC RX-E12. Goal was to
> connect it via
> an optical cable to my mythtv centre.

> The problem is that mythmusic doesn't respond well to this. Almost all mp3s
> play very fast (about 10 sec per song, barely recognizable like skipping
> through it very fast). Only songs with 48khz sampling rate seem to play
> fine.  Playing with for instance mpg321 is fine for all mp3s. My setup is:
> shuttle ST62K. soundchip atiixp, debian testing and mythtv/mythmusic 0.19.
> Can anyone give me a pointer on how to get this going?

First step - read the extremely informative digital sound HOWTO -
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound

I'm using versions of this asoundrc file for all my machines - you
just need to make sure the hardware settings match your particular
machine - 'aplay -l' and 'aplay -L' can give you all the information
you need to set this up.

To solve the sampling rate issue when using SPDIF, you need to have a
configuration that allows rate conversion, which the dmix-based
examples in the above HOWTO provide. This should allow any audio to be
converted to 48kHz suitable for your SPDIF.

When using default CD ripping settings, most MP3s will be encoded
using 44.1kHz to match the sampling rate of the source CD. When using
your analog outputs, this typically doesn't cause any problems, but
the SPDIF 'expects' 48kHz audio.

> Related question: How can I get 5.1 working? speaker-test -c6 only gives me
> 2 channels. xine also doesn't add much more..

When outputting via SPDIF xine needs to be set to PassThrough mode in
order to pass the digital audio stream directly to your receiver to
decode.

Using the HOWTO above, I configure the default as dmix-digital, and
then configure MythTV to use ALSA:spdif (or ALSA:default) with mixer
set to default.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: