[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

Dan danspam at envy.themanium.net
Tue May 16 15:35:45 EDT 2006

James,

thanks for the response...

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:11:21PM -0600, James C. Dastrup wrote:

> Expect your CPU to be very high with your CPU (AMD 3200+).  Personally,
> I've never used that CPU so I couldn't tell you if it should even work at all;
> if it's even fast enough (without XvMC, of course) at only 2 Ghz. I know that

My understanding is that mpeg decoding load would be reflected in
"mythfrontend" cpu usage, rather than X.  Since the "X" process seems to be
taking up so much CPU time, it leads me to believe (possibly incorrectly!)
that there is a setup/config problem somewhere.

> Downoad the fglrx drivers from ATI's website and install those closely following
> their instructions, instead of using the drivers that came with your distro. I've
> had better luck doing that.

That much is done.  Using 8.24.8-1 downloaded from ATI recently.

> Check your Xorg log files and make sure fglrx is loading properly.

It appears to be.

> Run glxinfo and make sure you are getting a good frame rate.

glxinfo does not seem to report a framerate to me.  I ran glxgears
and got ~11500 fps, in case that is what you meant.  I understand that
this doesn't really indicate anything other than that the correct
drivers are installed.

> Make sure 'agpgart' is not compiled into your kernel.
(apologies for reordering your comments a bit)

I believe that it is.  Would this cause the behavior I am seeing?  I
have building a suspicion about the AGP performance so I have been
reading a bit about the AGPGART.  Research did not seem conclusive
about whether it helps or hurts.  I think I'd need to make a new kernel
to get rid of it as lsmod does not show it as a module.  If that is what
will help, I'll get on that...