[mythtv-users] Verifying HD content with a HD-3000

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue May 16 14:51:20 EDT 2006

Joel Turner wrote:

> Perhaps my example was  poor.  I've verified in upcoming recordings
> that it is using tuner 2 (HD3000).  I'm also assuming that the size
> of the recording will be about 6GB per hour if not greater.  As for
> the 6 vs 601 in your example, I have no idea what it's actually
> using.  Charter does not show station identifiers over QAM_256. When
> verifying channels with mplayer I know that it showed content from
> FOX.  I updated from my imported channel.conf the mplexid and
> serviceid to the FOX entry populated by mythfilldatabase when I set
> the zap-it line up to the card in myth-setup.  I assume the end
> result is that what I provided it with the proper settings for tuning
> with the HD3000 and so that it would also have the correct entries
> for grabbing schedule information from zap-it.

In a very real sense neither Charter nor Mythtv care what the 'channel'
number is. The number 767 which Charter gives to zap2it and which shows
up in your lineup is an arbitrary number representing a
frequency+serviceid pair. You can only see those numbers on your set-top
box if the diagnostics let you. You find those numbers doing a channel
scan and poke them into Mythtv.

But if you select a program at a certain date and time, on 601 then you
will *get* 601. You would only get channel 6 if you allowed 'this
program, any channel' recording. In that case, provided your PVR was the
prime tuner card, myth would select that tuner and therefore that
program. If you select 'record only this program' then you will record
with the HD3000 on channel 601. And, as has been pointed out, if it is
HD, the size will be quite a bit larger than an SD recording of the same
  duration.

If you actually had not pluggd in the correct mplexid and serviceid
information, you could not view the program using LiveTV.

And surely, HD level content is quite discernible on your monitor?

Geoff

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury
Barrister and Solicitor