[mythtv-users] MythTV vs Tivo and DVR

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:35:15 EDT 2006

On 5/16/06, hondaman <hondaman at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems a lot of people are using standalone boxes these days, Tivo or
> DVR.  Can anyone explain how these work?  Are people watching recorded
> TV when watching live TV, such as MythTV does?  The reason I'm asking is
> with MythTV, there is a noticeable degradation in picture quality while
> watching live TV.

compared to?

> Do the Tivo/DVR people experience this same quality
> issue?

it all depends on the source of the signal and the transformations it
goes through. Those that have DVB cards (like the non-u.S. folks) are
getting a digital signal and the only transformation is from digital
to analog to their TV. For us in the u.S., we mostly have to deal with
digital->analog->digital->analog conversion which can degrade the
quality a lot (especially when the output of your converter box looks
like crud).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!