[mythtv-users] Choppy Video But Not Audio

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Tue May 16 07:41:40 EDT 2006

On 5/14/06, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just finally got my first front end working with my myth network.
> This frontend has a very small but noticable stuttering problem on the
> video. It doesn't bother the audio though. About once every two
> seconds, the video pauses for about 1/4 of a second and then catches
> back up. It's almost like it's waiting for data from the backend. I've
> tried everything in the lists about stutterint or choppy video, but
> nothing seems to smooth it out.
>
> Hardware is a PIII-800 with 256M ram.
> Video card is an Nvidia 6200.
> Hard Drive is an 80G.
>
> I have mythfrontend running chmod +s.
> I ried with and without the opengl thingy in the video setup. One post
> said that enabling this might smooth it out.
>
> I have the latest myth from Axel as of a few days ago. I'm running
> kernel 2096 on Fedora Core 4 and I have nvidia drivers 8756.
>
> Can someone offer some suggestions as to what to try to maybe smooth this
> out?

If you're running a newish linux chmod +s won't help. You'll need to edit
/etc/security/limits.conf - I think this is documented on the wiki
somewhere.

You could try tuning your nfs setup - this is documented on the wiki. If
your system supports it, try using xvmc as the playback method; if it
doesn't, I got the best results from libmpeg2 rather than standard (this on
a via epia m10k) - I haven't eliminated stuttering, but it's now occasional
rather than all the time.

Other than that, you may be running out of ram - use top to find out.

Regards,

Chris