[mythtv-users] PS3 to come with full Linux

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 15 23:53:17 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 15, 2006, at 22.06, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Byron Poland writes:
> >
> >> Saw this link of digg....
> >> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=460365&st=0
> >> Of course this begs the question... PS3 as ultimate HD Mythtv
> >> frontend?*
> >> *assuming you can get myth ported to the cell processor and
> >> graphics to work.
> >
> > Before you get excited, find someone who can read Japanese.
> >
> > Just because the word "Linux" occurs in a middle of Japanese text
> > that ostensibly discusses the PS3, it does not mean that PS3 is
> > going to run Linux.
>
> But we can hope, and dream! ;) I hope, for Sony's sake, that they do
> include Linux, because you just know that people are going to try to
> hack it for homebrew purposes, and unless they allow homebrew in an
> appropriate sandbox (IE keeping the software separate from the
> onboard APIs, to help prevent circumvention of Sony's anti-game-
> piracy systems), they're just begging for someone to rip them a new
> security hole.

It's been rumored for a while that the PS3 would be running linux.
First Sony started working on a version of linux a few years back, and
since the PS3 talk has amped up people have put the two together,
since the Xbox360 runs a version of Windows (developed and compiled
specificly for the 360).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!