[mythtv-users] Verifying HD content with a HD-3000

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Mon May 15 18:14:44 EDT 2006

I am curious how one can verify that they have succesfully set up an
HD-3000 for HDTV viewing. I currently have an SD setup with the primary
card being a PVR350. I purchased the HD3000 several months back but
never got around to setting it up. Last weekend, I succesfuly set it up
according to the Wiki directions for QAM256. To set up my card I went to
Zap-It, configured a digital cable lineup to use for the HD-3000,
associated the card with it, created a channels.conf and imported it
into Myth. I also changed the entries in the channel table for each
entry (mplexid and serviceid) and zeroed out atscsrcid. It is currently
the second tuner in my system. Coming from the wall I have split the
cable with one feed to the HD-3000 and the other to my Cable box. I am
using Charter in Madison, WI and was able to receive approximately 30
channels unencrypted including all local channels on the HD-3000.

Here is where I am confused if I’m actually capturing HDTV content.
Charter supplies what they call HDTV capable boxes and have reserved an
upper band of channels on their service for HDTV. For instance Fox is on
channel 8 and channel 757. If I use the HD-3000 as the selected tuner
and schedule it to record the show 24 on channel 8, am I capturing HD
content as it’s broadcast in HD? Is there a way to check the completed
file for information that would confirm that I have? I'm planning on
purchasing an LCD shortly and would love to be able to confirm that
everything is set up properly.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

--Joel