[mythtv-users] Xv output with fglrx 8.24.8

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:47:03 EDT 2006

Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> I had "VideoOverlay" "on" and "OpenGLOverlay" "off". I have fought with
> fglrx installation before, so I'm well aware of what a beast it can be.
> I was pretty sure that Xv worked fine without the kernel module, since
> it does for both the "radeon" and "nv" drivers, so I may have skipped
> getting the kernel module to work because I wasn't interested in OpenGL
> at that point.
>
> But, to be sure, I'll try fglrx again. It'll be an interesting data
> point, but I really hope to avoid using anything proprietary for my
> mythbox. I'll probably get a Radeon 9600 or something to use with the
> radeon driver or perhaps an Nvidia card for use with "nv".
>
> Jonathan Rogers

One problem there is so much confusion on the net about the fglrx
driver, too.  I've looked at many different howto's, some at rage3D,
some at the ubuntu wiki, and other distros.  I just never could get it
working without the kernel module - I don't for the life of me know why
- I have been confused by this driver time and again.  But I think I
better qualify my previous posts on this subject and say that this is
from personal experience only, and I haven't had anyone confirm that my
case is the general one.  Nonetheless on two different systems I could
only get xv working once the kernel module was working; but, both cards
were 9600 types.  I have not tried using "radeon" much though, as I was
under the impression tv-out only worked with fglrx, and I ended up
hooking my machine up through svideo.  I could be totally wrong about
radeon though and maybe it just makes more sense to use that, openGL be
damned, no need for it on my myth box.

Recently my fan started dying on my 9600 pro, so I preemptively ordered
a geforce fx5200.  I put it in over the weekend, and it plays so much
nicer with linux, ubuntu at least.  For my every day usage I would end
up using "nv" if it was hooked to a monitor.  But I think for TV out I
have to use the proprietary driver.  (can anyone confirm if Tv-out works
with plain old "nv"?). cheers
Raphael