[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon May 15 16:45:53 EDT 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> from what I understand, the opensource radeon drivers are not equiped
> to properly handle HDTV streams in Xv. The ATI fglrx drivers however
> are. I don't know if they support TV out on your card, but they do on
> my laptop's Xpress 200M.

I have been using X.org's radeon driver with an 8500 card for HD for a
while now. I briefly tried fglrx, but Bob deinterlace was broken. The X
process is using about 50% CPU time on an Athlon64 3700+, which seems
high, at least compared to with an Nvidia card.

Hopefully, someone wouldn't have to use TV out for HD anyway. Ideally,
you'd use DVI, but VGA should work well too. There are VGA to component
video converters if the HDTV doesn't have either DVI, HDMI, or VGA in.

Jonathan Rogers