[mythtv-users] My experience with HD video and the Nvidia 6200TC

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon May 15 15:22:35 EDT 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> Jonathan, what percentage of the CPU does X use and what percentage is
>>> Myth using? My 3200+ handles deinterlacing 1080i fine, but I've got a
>>> FX5200, I'm trying to get a handle on how much CPU the ATI Xorg driver
>>> uses compared to the nvidia drivers.
>> Playing a 720p movie, the "X" process takes about 50% CPU time and
>> "mythfrontend" about 30%. Playing 1080i show with Bob, "X" takes about
>> 53% and mythfrontend about 30% to 40%. Those percentages can vary quite
>> a bit with the program and even scene, which is why it usually keeps up,
>> but sometimes stutters.
>
> strange to me that X takes up so much CPU on your system while it
> takes very little on mine. Are you sure Xv is enabled? Your Myth usage
> seems a bit lower than mine, but I'm running a 3200+, compared to your
> 3700+. Have you tried the fglrx drivers to see if they improve your X
> usage?

Yes, Xvideo is certainly working, as confirmed by xvinfo and mplayer.
You have an Nvidia card, right? The load split may be different due to
hardware and driver differences. In the end, the most important thing in
determining overall functionality is total system load. The fglrx driver
did seem to use a little less CPU time, but Bob deinterlace was
completely broken and my goal is to use all Free software if possible.

Jonathan Rogers